In this article, Kiefer demonstrates how complexity theory--the idea that all systems are not only comprised of nonlinear, interacting parts, but are also adaptive in the sense that they can change from within or as a result of outside influences--can be directly connected to teaching. The definition certainly reminds me of the "process over product" concept in writing. Although this theory is often applied to scientific or philosophical practices, Kiefer makes a strong case for its influence on the writing classroom. She states that writing classes develop their own distinctive personalities, and that we cannot describe what the "system" will look like because the classes change each semester.
Through the lens of complexity theory we see how students make choices about their own behavior and how they also react to the emerging pattern of interactions in the larger group. Thus, we can see how classrooms demonstrate key characteristics of complex, adaptive systems (130).
Kiefer then uses this idea to argue that distance learning classes might not be as effective as physical classrooms because of this lack of face-to-face relationships, social bonds, and attitudes. I don't think it's necessary to go into distance learning here, but it did, however, play a major role in this article.
The reason that I think this article is important is because of Kiefer's simple, yet elegant approach to classroom dynamics. She provides numerous first-hand examples of her conclusions and also a small research study she conducted on an online distance learning course. Her insights into how both teachers and students create a classroom dynamic demonstrate the importance of this dynamic in considering teaching methods, assignments, and communication with our students. I obviously don't have the space to discuss the article in great detail, but I think she brings up some very nice points about how essential a classroom dynamic is to the success of our students. Check it out!
Kiefer, Kate. "Complexity, Class Dynamics, and Distance Learning." Computers and Composition 23 (2006): 125-38.
1 comment:
Hi Casey. I don't focus on the writing dimension of complexity theory but thought you might be interested in my site where I do dig into social applications of complex adaptive systems. My contention - along with others who support this exploratory direction - is the complexity science can help us understand how to design more resilient institutions and help us understand why some organizations flourish during times of change while others collapse, shattering under the strain. Good luck as you begin your blogging. I've been with Blogger since 2005.
Post a Comment